Introduction to Sailing
Considering getting into the sport of sailing? OCSC’s Intro to Sailing is a great first step! This two-hour skippered charter is designed to provide folks who are considering getting into sailing with a real glimpse of the sport, our club, and our people. Two hours on beautiful San Francisco Bay will help you to determine if you want to make sailing a bigger part of your life.
Get a Glimpse of the Sport
Students per Boat
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
You will join one of OCSC’s instructors and be part of a six-person crew aboard one of our larger boats. Learn some basic sailing concepts and get a real feel for the wind in your sails. Come join us for on the water and take a tour of our fleet and facilities. We’ll answer all your questions about lessons and membership.
Our boats typically fill up quickly, so if you’re thinking of getting into the sport, reserve a spot on one of the boats and make a sound decision!
Good to know:
- Your Intro to Sailing will be a hands-on experience. You’ll be exposed to different roles and positions on the yacht, including the helm (driver) position.
- This course is designed for people who want to taste-test sailing to see if they really like it. We bet that after just two hours, you’ll want to start one of our formal beginning programs like Basic Keelboat or Learn-to-Crew. And if you register for either of them on the same day as your Intro to Sailing, we will apply your fee to the tuition.
- If you already know enough about the sport that you are ready to jump in, you can easily bypass this introduction and go straight to Basic Keelboat or Learn-to-Crew.
- We will spend some time with you after your sail, giving you a tour of the rest of our 50-yacht fleet and our 10,000 square-foot facility as well as answering your questions about our program and what it’s like to learn to sail. This usually only takes 30 minutes or so.
- Come prepared for your Intro to Sailing! Bring soft-soled tennis or boat shoes, sunglasses, a hat for sun protection, sunscreen, and a warm sweater or light jacket.